Uprade SCCM 2012 to SP1 Beta

 

 

So today I started to play with System Center Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 Beta.What I found nice for this SP from others for the System Center 2012 suite was that I was able to install it on Windows Server 2008 R2.  So far all the others required Windows 2012 RTM. I had previously installed SCCM 2012 using SQL 2012. I was able to do that here as well but it required CU 2, however CU 3 has been released so I used it. It can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2723749. Like wise WSUS 3.0 SP2 requires KB2734608 found at:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734608.

The other issue I ran into is the BITS prerequisate test failing even though all of the required services were installed with the error:

BITS is not installed, IIS 6 WMI compatibility component for IIS7 is not installed on this computer or the  remote IIS host, or Setup was unable to verify remote IIS settings because IIS common components were not installed on the server computer. Also, check if IIS/BITS services are running properly. Setup cannot continue until BITS is installed and enabled in the IIS settings.

No matter what I did I could not resolve this error. I uninstalled and reinstalled BITS, IIS 6 Compatibility components, checked the services. nothing helped. I serched the web for a way to skip the prerequisite check, during install but could not find a way so I took matters into my own hands. I looked through the "ConfigMgr_SCEP_2012_SP1_Beta_ENU_7782" directory and subdirectories for something that may controll this. I found the "SetupPages.xml" file. I found this section:update

<!--Run Prereq rules-->
        <Branch Id="{5A12B512-89FB-453F-A23D-99210544A1F2}" >
            <Pages>
                <PageReference Id="{EF427ED4-9C5E-44F6-97E1-0C5F03CB5ED4}" />
                <PageReference Id="{B539664C-90D2-49AA-BA5A-D52E94D6F9F7}" />
            </Pages>
        </Branch>

In that section I removed the following line:

 

 

<PageReference Id="{EF427ED4-9C5E-44F6-97E1-0C5F03CB5ED4}" />

Then I saved the file and restarted setup. I no longer got the prerequisites check and setup completed successfully. Now that I am playing with it I will update this later with the results once I have deployed the client to my Windows 2012 servers and Windows 8 workstations.

 

 

UPDATE 10/23/2012

 

 

 

So after all was said and done, the system did not talk to clients properly... frown  So.... I did some checking and it was not communicating with the webserver properly. I was getting a 500 error. I finally gave up and rolled back to the snapshot taken before I started. Then I checked everything. I have ignored this server for a while and just left it on autopilot. surprise, suprise! you have to actually look at your servers once in a while. the web server was not healthy. I had to fix a couple things with the WWW service and microsoft .Net 4.0. Next when it was working properly and was happy, I did the steps above again. I still had to by pass the Prerequisite check again as outlined above. Then the install finished. Following that, I tried to push the client to my new windows 8 machine to see how it would work. It failed.... sad Here is the error:

 

GetDPLocations failed with error 0x8000ffff ccmsetup 10/23/2012 8:34:05 PM 6528 (0x1980)
Failed to get DP locations as the expected version from MP 'https://server.domainerarchy.com'. Error 0x8000ffff ccmsetup 10/23/2012 8:34:05 PM 6528 (0x1980)
Failed to find DP locations from MP 'https://server.domain.com' with error 0x8000ffff, status code 200. Check next MP. ccmsetup 10/23/2012 8:34:05 PM 6528 (0x1980)
Only one MP https://server.domain.com is specified. Use it. ccmsetup 10/23/2012 8:34:05 PM 6528 (0x1980)
Have already tried all MPs. Couldn't find DP locations. ccmsetup 10/23/2012 8:34:05 PM 6528 (0x1980)

So now what? well Let's try uninstalling and reinstalling the Management Point (MP). Maybe it did not upgrade well.

That did it. It now has successfully installed a the client to my Windows 8 box! now let's wait and see if it talks properly with the client when it trys to talk to it. Stay tuned....

 

 

 

 

 

UPDATE 10/25/2012


 SO it  working. I did have to redistribute all of my content to the distribution point, but was able to install applications and do all of the normal functions. Now everything seems to be working properly.

 

Update 10/31/2012

My previous version had said delete

<BranchReference Id="{51C916DF-034E-4964-A3A0-DCF7469082BD}" />

in fact this was incorrect and has been corrected above. you need to delete:

<PageReference Id="{EF427ED4-9C5E-44F6-97E1-0C5F03CB5ED4}" />

Update 11/4/2012

So today I tried using a System installer to install Windows 7 through OSD PXE and it kept failing. I kept trying and trying but no matter what I did it would not work. THen I imported a WIM I had created a while ago of just the clean empty Win 7 SP1 OS, layed it down ant that worked properly. Not sure why I could not use an OS Installer., It could be something to do with it still being in Beta.

This website and its content is copyright of ITHierarchy Inc - © ITHierarchy Inc 2013-2015. All rights reserved.

Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following:

  • you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non-commercial use only
  • you may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material

You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.

 

;